How have you been these wintery, chilly days? Hmm… one thing I almost know for sure: your heater is up and running making your indoors all warm and cozy for you, isn’t it?
But …What about your healthy glow? We want to always keep shining on, don’t we? 🙂But every season comes with its own challenges! It’s like… just as we got used to our light moisturizers and heavy-duty sunscreens in the summer… In the wintertime what used to work for our skin before doesn’t work anymore! And now, in the middle of the winter we may begin seeing it on… our faces… 🙁
Well… With the multitude of articles about an importance of switching to the thicker, oiler moisturizers during the winter you must already know about this part… 🙂 But I’ll still mention it here because this part IS IMPORTANT and it’s good to be reminded of something that makes such perfect sense! 🙂 Right?
Yes, because while the oilier, heavier creams and balms may cause some breakouts for you in the summer (especially if your skin is already oily), because Heat=Perspiration=Clogged Pores; that same stuff will actually benefit your skin in the winter!
Why the oilier & heavier creams are so important in the winter:
- They protect us from the wind by adding a protective oily film to our skin.
- They protect our skin from the frosty air because oil doesn’t freeze, while all the water in a light moisturizer does.
- Finally that oily film keeps the much-needed moisture on our skin, preventing it from leaving it!
And just in case you’re wondering,
- Avene Cold Creme: my all-time favorite! I use it as a day and as a night cream because its thick, extra-creamy luxury texture always keeps my skin perfectly protected and moisturized! It’s very high-quality and had never irritated my sensitive skin! And for its price… I consider it my best skincare-products find!
- Dr. Hauschka Eye Contour Balm: I LOVE it! It’s so thick and pasty; once I apply a little bit under my eyes it stays on all day and my under-eye skin stays elastic and protected (it prevents those terrible “crows feet” wrinkles, too!)
- Avene Hydrating Sunscreen SPF 50: this one’s always the must in my cosmetic bag. In the winter I apply a smaller amount of it than in the summer, unless I just stay indoors all day long. Then I think that it’s safe to skip it.
But once again, most likely you already know all that “Oiler Creams” stuff, right? 🙂
So today I want to share with you my discovery of a “hidden” winter skincare challenge that you may not be aware of. (A discovery, because it took me awhile to figure it out!).
The indoor HEATERS! Yes, and it gets especially bad if you have that AC/Heater, because it blows the HOT AIR out and works similar to a hair dryer. Yes, the DRYER. But in this instance the air-warming device dries out our SKIN by blowing the hot air right on it, stripping all the moisture right off!
But here’s a “Hidden Gem” solultion to this problem! And it is NOT a cosmetic product…
It’s a… HUMIDIFIER!Yes, because unless you want to freeze by never putting that heater on, what can you do to offset the heater’s drying effect? Well, since the heater strips the moisture off our skin, we then need something that ADDS that moisture to the air counteracting this damaging part of running a heater in the winter!
Actually I love using my Humidifier (pictured above) all year long! Because the moisture is what our skin needs to stay young and plump! But it’s especially important to add that extra mist to the dry indoors air during the winter! And let me tell you, when I got my first humidifier a few years ago it made such a HUGE difference to how my skin looked and felt that I got two more, so that I can keep one in each room!
One last note here: if you don’t have a Fancy Humidifier in the budget, you don’t have to get it! A Super-Simple Humidifier will work just as well! But if you aren’t ready to invest at all (or you have more than a few rooms that you need to be humidified) here’s another thing that you can do: just put an open pot with water on some kind of a sturdy surface (it’s best if it stands right under the heating grid). And viola! At least you get some moisture evaporating into that dry air!
Stay warm, my friends, and most importantly (yes, it’s a part of getting that healthy glow) – SMILE!!!! 🙂